Spring is the optimum time to sell a house. In fact, according to a study done by researchers at Zillow, homes listed between May 1 through May 15 sold, on average, around 18.5 days faster than homes not listed during this period. Add this to the fact that the largest number of buyers are actively searching for homes in the months of April, May and June and you will see that getting your property on the market this time of year is a must! This is especially true right now because it is a hot seller’s market. Inventory is low and buyers are competing for homes, so you have the opportunity to get the best price possible for your home. Here are some tips that will help improve the odds of your house to stand out among the plethora of homes that get put on the market in spring:
- Wash windows inside and out and polish all mirrors. A little bit of sparkle goes a long way in impressing potential buyers
- Rake the yard and trim back bushes. Your yard is the first thing people will see. Dead leaves and debris do not paint a pretty picture. In addition, you want a much natural light as possible flooding through your windows, so make sure bushes aren’t blocking the rays.
- Mow the yard diagonally and edge along the driveway and sidewalks. Mowing diagonally makes yards look larger. And edging shows that you give attention to small details.
- Plant yellow flowers. Yellow tulips and daffodils promote feelings of happiness and contentment.
- Clean window treatments and open windows. It will be worth your while to take down your drapes, curtains and blinds to clean them and give them a crisp, fresh look. Weather permitting, opening windows lets the fresh air in and gives the whole house the feeling of spring.
- Have fresh, fragrant flowers in the house. Artful home-staging brings color and pleasant aromas indoors.
- Polish floors to a high gloss. Make those floors shine! Refinish them if necessary.
- Use light colors. Even if you must spend a little to replace items, towels, linens, throws and sofa pillows are inexpensive accents that will pay off. In soft, spring colors such as yellows, pinks, pale blues and lavenders, they will light up a room.
- Spruce up your entryway. This is the part of your home where buyers will get their first impression. Make it a good one!
Contact Craig and Linda Nowicke at 813-728-3880 to get your house on the market today!